Dutch Oven Bread Bowl
Inspired by Dutch Oven Bread by Le Creuset
I came across this recipe for a loaf of bread with a super crispy crust and decided to make it into a great bread bowl recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 cups bread flour
- ¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ tablespoon and ⅛ teaspoon of table salt, divided
- ½ tablespoon canola oil
Make the dough
- Get a mixing bowl for the dough.
- Add 2 cups bread flour to mixing bowl.
- Add ¾ cup water to mixing bowl.
- Add ½ teaspoon active dry yeast to mixing bowl.
- Add ½ tablespoon table salt to mixing bowl.
- Knead the dough for 5–10 minutes.
Rise the dough
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap.
- Let rise.
Let dough stand
- Knead the dough briefly.
- Shape dough roughly into a ball.
- Cover dough with a towel.
- Let dough stand for 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a tight ball.
- Line a Dutch oven with parchment paper.
- Put the dough in the center of the pot.
- Put the lid on the pot.
- Let dough rise again.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Rub ½ tablespoon canola oil over the surface of the dough.
- Score the bread.
- Sprinkle the dough with ⅛ teaspoon table salt.
- Put the lid on the Dutch oven.
- Place Dutch oven in the oven.
- Bake for 30–60 minutes.
Finish browning the bread
- Remove the lid to the Dutch oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Bake the bread until nicely browned and cooked through.
- Let the bread rest on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.